Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bondage of Self

Bondage: Slavery or involuntary servitude.

Self: a person's nature, character, etc

So, slavery or involuntary servitude of my own nature and character.

The line from the step 3 prayer states: "Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will."

Relieve means to "to ease or alleviate". I was a slave to my own addictions, fears, and self seeking. I pray to my Higher Power to ease or alleviate this slavery to self. There is only one reason I would do this according to the big book in that I may better do the will of my Higher Power.

If I think about it, that's the only way the prayer works. If I pray to be relieved from the slavery so I can continue to do my will, I'll never have it answered. I would always be a slave to my self. My life would continue to be about me. If I prayer to be relieved from the bondage of self and then take responsibility by trying to do Gods will, I would be going in the right direction and God would help me.

I don't have to do it perfect. I don't have to understand God's will perfectly. The line says "that I may better do Your will". Do it better means just that, improvement, growth, change. It doesn't mean perfection.

So if I understand the line correctly, I pray to be relieved from the bondage of self that I would try to do what God would have me do. I won't get it perfectly right but I will grow in the trying. By not allowing my life to be clouded with fear, I can grow and change and improvedly do Gods will as I continue to work the steps.

Thanks.

{all definitions come from dictionary.com}

3 comments:

YamadogGirl said...

Awesome message, somebody else is really studying there Big Book. I use that 3rd step prayer more than any other, because I continue to seek God and try my best to do His will.

Love,
Kimberly

indistinct said...

We stay sober together, growing and changing.

My sponsor told me to use the step 3 prayer every morning to start my day. He's been around for a while so be best to listen. And my way never worked before, so why would it now.

Thanks you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My first spiritual contact was when tradidy struck .It forced me to find a power grater than my self .the drugs and the 9th step promises,both free me from self.If I go to a meeting and get out of fear and say hi to people I don,t know I feal that ever loving knowing spirit and can,t get enuogh its bean bereid inside of me it is in everyone