Sunday, December 16, 2007

Seeing eyes

"He that has eyes to see, let him see". To the seeing eye, the world is good. Pray for a seeing eye, to see the purpose of God in everything. Pray for enough faith to see God's care in His dealings with you. Try to see how He has brought you safely through your past life so that now you can be of use in the world. With the eyes of faith you can see God's care and purpose everywhere. -- Meditation for the day of November 26 from Twenty Four Hours a Day.



A friend at a meeting shared this with me earlier this week. I had been sharing about my fears over a loved one relapsing. I had expressed my doubts and lack of trust in God as well. This passage gave my a reason to pause and reflect on what God has done for me using the painful episodes of my life to change me. I can see the same results in the lives of my children. how they have grown and were changed by the pain in their lives.

When my children were small, I would try to teach them to pray when they were having difficulties. I would tell them that if they prayed, their difficulties would vanish, God removing them. I spoke from my beliefs and desires. It did not take them long to realize that their dad was full of bull shit. Praying did not result the absence of strife and pain. In fact, praying the way I taught them only added to the confusion. If what I was saying was true, and God didn't respond, then I was telling a lie and God was a lie. I can't change the past. I did what I did.

Today, I understand differently. There is no easy way out. In fact, the only way out is all the way through. This loved one needs to go through the addiction, to come to a place of surrender. Me trying to make it easier, taking on some of the financial responsibility, protecting reputation, etc. etc. doesn't help. Letting go and letting God is the most responsible way.

Seeing the world through my eyes, tinted with fear and worry, taint my faith and trust. Trying to see the world as God sees is much better advice.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Jepp said...

Nice work - As a recovering addict I have an addiction info/support blog for addicts and their loved ones. I started an addiction forum discussion group related to the blog and and need other addicts to post and respond there. The link to the group is in the sidebar at the blog Yesterdays Fears. Happy Holidays - Jepp