Tuesday, February 5, 2008

distance

Mark, over at "A Dozen Steps", wrote a great entry on faith and fear.

How much fear I feel at any given moment is directly up to me. If I am in my head, spinning around trying to create solutions, imagining the worst outcomes, seeing nothing but negativity and chaos, then I am going to feel fearful. This worry, this chewing of the dark cud, is all something that I do.

If I give up, if I surrender, put the situation into God's hands, then I can breath. A loving, caring, benevolent (opposite of malevolent) Higher Power, who wants us to succeed, is where I turn to in order to lose my fears. My situation doesn't change, but how I see the situation changes. My perceptions change.

To me, it's the right use of will power. I can use my will to see the dark side. Or I can align my will with God's will and see the world as God sees it. God's way or the fearful way. Each day, I get to choose. On this journey of sobriety, today I choose to walk with God and walk with you.

When we encountered A.A., the fallacy of our defiance was revealed. At no time had we asked what God's will was for us; instead we had been telling Him what it ought to be. No man, we saw, could believe in God and defy Him, too. Belief meant reliance, not defiance. In A.A. we saw the fruits of this belief: men and women spared from alcohol's final catastrophe. We saw them meet and transcend their other pains and trials. We saw them calmly accept impossible situations, seeking neither to run nor to recriminate. This was not only faith; it was faith that worked under all conditions. We soon concluded that whatever price in humility we must pay, we would pay. Twelve and Twelve, page 31

2 comments:

johno said...

Thanks for your comment, Good post thank you!

Mark said...

Thanks for the acknowledgment :)

"Came To Believe" is filled with good info that helps a lot...