Thursday, February 28, 2008

Seventh Step

The Seventh Step is where we make the change in our attitude which permits us, with humility as our guide, to move out from ourselves toward others and toward God. The whole emphasis of Step Seven is on humility. It is really saying to us that we now ought to be willing to try humility in seeking the removal of our other shortcomings just as we did when we did when we admitted that we were powerless over alcohol, and came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. If that degree of humility could enable us to find the grace by which such a deadly obsession could be banished, then there must be hope of the same result respecting any other problem we could possibly have. (12 and 12, page 76)

At my home group tonight, the topic was step 7. I was struck by how many times the word humility was mentioned in the chapter on step seven out of the twelve and twelve. At first I felt a bit confused in that I'm not sure how to let go of my character defects. My fear, self-pity, perfectionism, procrastination, anger. God won't wave a magic wand and make them go. I can't make them go away by self. Then the word humility appears.

I was reminded of how the obsession to drink was taken from me. When I gave up, surrendered, put myself in God's hands, not asking for anything, my life changed. I don't believe it was a magic wand. It wouldn't have happened if I did not do my part. Yet, without the intervention of my Higher Power, I would not have sobered up. I have a lot of gratitude for my sobriety, for the part that God played in it. Each time I share my experience, the gratitude I feel can overwhelm me. I am amazed at how often tears come to me as I share that part. I am truly blessed.

So my defects of character I have to leave with God. I trust that in the Creator's way, I will change. As a pace not decided upon by me. I can't do it, not on my own.

One day at at time, we change. Thanks for letting me share.

2 comments:

dAAve said...

I love the definition of humility on page 58 (12X12).
If I am constantly striving to become the best person I can be, then I am much less likely to practice many or most of my character defects.
I can control my behavior and my HP will take care of the rest.

indistinct said...

Thanks, daave, I found that paragraph on page 58 and I seemed to see it in a new light. I liked the sentence "And we soon found that we could not wish or will them away by ourselves."

Suits me to a T, since I know I can make my Higher Power love me more if I'm perfect!