Sunday, February 17, 2008

where to turn

I've been working a lot of hours this past week (74 hours, and another long day today.) I'm involved in a large maintenance shutdown of our plant and am looking forward to it being completed in a couple three days.

Yesterday, I was feeling a little tired and irritable. Sometimes, life goes against my expectations and I get fearful and angry. I know better than to hang onto my expectations but couldn't do that well yesterday. I don't like conflict between other people, never have. I take it on as my problem, wondering how I can make it better for everyone involved. Couple of guys on my crew were butting heads yesterday and I was asked to intervene. I just couldn't let it go for most of the day. Fear and anger. Am I doing the right thing? Can I resolve their issues (no). Finally at the end of the day I was able to get the thoughts out of my head.

I haven't picked up the phone to talk with anyone about this. I'll do that today. When I get tired, I just want to do it myself. That seems to get me into more trouble than ever. Share my stuff, I've been told. (over and over.)

I read the following this morning out of the Al-Anon devotional book "Courage to Change".

My vision can be so limited. I often think that the only possible outcomes are those that I can imagine. Fortunately, my Higher Power is not restricted by such logic. In fact, some of the most wondrous events grow out of what appear to be disasters.

But faith take practise. Fears can loom large, and I can get lost in my limited thinking. When I can't see any way out and I doubt that even a Higher Power can help me, that's when I most need to pray. When I do, my actions demonstrate my willingness to be helped. And time after time, the help I need is given to me.

Today I know that even when my situation looks bleak and I can't see any way out, miracles can happen if I turn my will and my life over to God


Today I start anew. Today I will try to trust in my Higher Power to help me through any circumstance I find myself in. Today, I'll make it through a long day, one hour at a time. And I'll pick up the phone and stay connected. I'll let others challenge my thinking.

Thanks for letting me share.

2 comments:

pat said...

Honey,
You will be needing a nap and soon. Take one.

dirtydishes said...

Ditto on Pat's advice. Watch out for the whole HALT thing and pick up the phone whenever neccesary or just for the heck of it. God Bless.