Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

There's this little wood pecker sitting on the telephone pole outside our home. He can sure make that pole sound like a drum. rat at tat tat. I wonder if he ever gets a head ache?

It was a beautiful day yesterday. One of those clear, sunny, days where the temperature stayed cool and we spent the whole day outside. (Might explain the redness of skin.) I spoke with or was visited by all four of our children. My mom and dad came over, along with my sis and her husband. Dinner was a feast of Ling Cod, Dungeness crabs, and prawns. We ate outside, cracking crab with our bare hands, juice flying all over. It was cool in the shade so there was a camp fire going in our fire pit and lots of conversation abounded. Even my grandson made an appearance, returning from Vancouver with his mom after spending the weekend with his auntie and uncle. (He got to see the recently born Beluga whale calve at the Vancouver Aquarium.) He was holding some stuffed animals, one of which was the calve. I was coveting his sea otter though. Even got to play my favourite board game with a couple of the kids before everyone showed up. I felt very blessed to have a day like that.

I received the most wonderful gift from my own father. He spoke about being proud of me. Words I had never expected to hear from him. Words I had longed for but had long given up any expectations for. Lots of sentences are popping up, pushing for space here, but I'm going to leave it at that. Accept the words, just as they were given. Thankful that they were.

The next best gift of all was a hug from my son-in-law, who was going through his first Fathers day with out his Dad. Sadness for him but there was also lots of joy in the up coming birth of his first child. My daughter is half way through her pregnancy and she looks simply radiant as she carries her child. Her tummy nice and round. She says she can feel the baby moving.

Sobriety brings many things into my life. Some are painful and difficult, others are joyous with time in suspension. We get to have life, all of it. It's worth it all.

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. Page 83 of the big book.

3 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Sounds like you had a really beautiful day. Happy (belated) Father's Day.

pat said...

This post warms my heart. What a great day for you and yours.

recoveryroad said...

A lovely post. Thank you. :)