Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Step 7 Prayer


When ready, we say something like this: "My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen." We have then completed Step Seven Big Book, pager 76

If I think about this prayer, I realize that all the responsibility for removing my character defects is taken from me. Will power is to be used to give all of myself, good and bad over to my Higher Power. Will power is not to be used to force myself to become something I think God wants me to become. The creator will help me to become more useful, less full of me. That the strength I need to do God's bidding does not come from my will.

As I write and think about this, an old Hebrew text comes to mind.

Psalm 121

A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem.
1 I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!

3 He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
4 Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never slumbers or sleeps.

5 The Lord himself watches over you!
The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.
6 The sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon at night.

7 The Lord keeps you from all harm
and watches over your life.
8 The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.


Photo Credit - 4Pizon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so amazing. I have just completed my step 6 and came online to look for the step 7 prayer. I was born on the 19th august 1980 - which was a tuesday, that is the date and year at the top of this page!!! Only the year is differnet, I think God is trying to tell me that as of this day I have been reborn, to be a made a new creature in him x To whoever set up this page, God bless you and may you always continue to do the good work of our lord, in Jesus name, Amen xxx

Anonymous said...

this is so amazing. I have just completed my step 6 and came online to look for the step 7 prayer. I was born on the 19th august 1980 - which was a tuesday, that is the date and year at the top of this page!!! Only the year is differnet, I think God is trying to tell me that as of this day I have been reborn, to be a made a new creature in him x To whoever set up this page, God bless you and may you always continue to do the good work of our lord, in Jesus name, Amen xxx