Wednesday, August 20, 2008

who's inventory?


I was rereading step 4 out of the big book last night. Just making sure I had the technical bits right about how to write it out. This paragraph, found on pager 67, seemed to be high lighted in bold face:

Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely. Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other man's. When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in black and white. We admitted our wrongs honestly and were willing to set these matters straight.


It was a big reminder about taking others inventory. The reason being was that "gossip" was the topic at a meeting the other night. It was much easier to talk about the pain in my life that resulted in someone gossipping about me than the pain I create when I gossip about someone else.

In doing my step four, there was no place for blaming the other person. It was all about focusing on our part, our inventory. No finger pointing. (It's them! it's them!) I have to work hard at not accusing others of being my problem. There is no one responsible for me but me. There is only One that is going to change me and that is my Higher Power. Talking about another is not going to make them healthy, it's going to make me feel better and yet get more unhealthy. I'll try to stay focused on what God wants, not me.

Speaking of that, another sponsee has come into my life. I'm going to try to include God this time, not just me.

We are going
away for a couple of days. Found a B&B on a local island, looks cozy. My partner and I are hoping to spend time walking and talking and reading and playing on the water. It will go well as long as I stop looking for problems 'specially with her.

I am thankful that my ears are unstopped. That I can hear the wisdom from the rooms. That I can read and see. That I can feel my emotions. That I can sense the emotions of others. That I don't have to fix everything. That God is.

Photo Credit: Kudaker

4 comments:

AlkySeltzer said...

First time I've been to your blog, and I felt real spirituality coming from your words.

Really enjoyed the "Hands" piece.
Thank you.

Permission to blog-roll your site? Because I'd like to come back, especially if you blog often.
Steve E.

PS Ask around...I'm OK!

dAAve said...

Most likely, you'll see some patterns throughout your life. It will provide a really good starting point for recovery.

Heather said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words left on my blog. It means more to me than I can possibly convey. May I like to you?

Patty said...

You are doing very well. Have a great weekend! Sounds fun.