Friday, September 26, 2008

happy rain


In yesterdays "Courage to Change", there was a qoute from Martin Luther:

I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess.

Ever since that night, while I was in treatment, that I finally could pray a simple prayer of "Hello, I'm here", my life is changing for the better. That terrible lonelyness is gone, the deep dark depression has been lifted, I have a sense of purpose in my life. I am sober and clean today. All of this because of the spiritual awaking that working the twelve steps afforded me. I get to keep it all as long as I continue to maintain my spiritual condition, which to me means constant growth.

Prayer Girl wrote about the paradoxs of AA. It really is an amazing program and I have no idea of how it works. It seems a little crazy from the outside but when I surrendered and quit asking why, my life started changing. It works if you work it. 

It was cake night at my home group last night. I watched a man present his 15 year cake. I witnessed tears running down his face as he shared with two new comers about what the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has done for him. How in the giving away he recieved so much. He wasn't the only one with tears of gratitude. 

Photo Credit: reallyboring

4 comments:

Laura said...

Trying to live an Attitude of Gratitude...and seeing reminders all around moves my soul.

Excellent.

Patty said...

That is my favorite meditation in "Courage to Change."

PRAYER GIRL said...

I love the quote from "Courage to Change" by Martin Luther that you used to start your blog today. I think it states things perfectly.
I hear in your posts the beauty of this program and I hear truth and honesty.
Thanks so much.

AlkySeltzer said...

"Hello, I'm here"...you're right! He does listen.