Wednesday, September 10, 2008

service


I attended a District Committee meeting last night. I wanted to witness the election process. I was, once again, surprised by how changed lives can become by working the steps. A person was reading their service resume ahead of the vote for DCM. As this person was reading their resume, the member broke down, tears of gratitude flowing freely.

When I was at the treatment centre, my councillor stressed, over and over, the importance of service work. Get a home group, get the keys, open the meetings, make coffee, greet people, clean up afterwards. Get involved. He said it was too easy to say no. Service work would help keep me sober and clean. I was so afraid of service, but even more afraid of relapsing, I followed the advice given.

It wasn't long ago, that my life consisted of bottles of red wine and sitting in my den, in front of my computer. Day after day, weeks and months and years. Full of fear and self-pity. Throwing my life away.

Today, it feels like God has a purpose for me. That there is meaning in all of this. It's like we continue to grow, to expand. Opportunities continue to present themselves.

I'll let you in on a secret. When I am having a conversation with someone or in a group, sometimes, I just want to pinch myself to make sure I'm awake. Can't believe I'm connecting with people.

And since I'm on the topics of secrets, a daughter of ours is getting wed this coming weekend. We are excited!

The same councillor told us that we would have no idea of what sobriety is going to bring us. We could not imagine what the promises unfolding would present. He was right.

Photo Credit: ToniVC

4 comments:

Shadow said...

congratulations! and best wishes to the happy couple!!

yes. in the beginning my goal was 'to stay sober'. little did i know that staying sober was merely a little part of a BIG picture of change, learning, re-learning, finding myself, and as you said, finding a purpose. amazing!

AlkySeltzer said...

H., you stole MY secret:

"I'll let you in on a secret. When I am having a conversation...SNIP... Can't believe I'm connecting with people."

You are very active on the blogs..great to read your posts. Thanks.
Reader-oni

PRAYER GIRL said...

One of my newer sponsees recently said to me, "I can not imagine you riding a motor scooter." Then after a pause, she said, "Actually, I can't imagine you as a drunk either."
It amazes me how well this program works when we follow the directions. And I don't have to understand - just need to DOIT!!!!

dAAve said...

Service work has been my focus during my first 5 years. I hope that desire doen't go awayl