Monday, September 15, 2008

a wedding

The wedding is over but it's left indelible memories. Images full of colour, beauty, laughter, joy, tenderness, promise, tears, and hope.

The outdoor ceremony had perfect weather, the sun was shining while we sat in the shade. A very light breeze to keep things cool. It was a Hindi wedding, the language used was Sanskrit. The wedding altar was decorated with garlands of flowers, rich clothes, pillows, incense, coloured rice. All our senses were in use. There was so much involvement from both sides of the family. Grand parents, aunts and uncles, moms and dads, siblings, all had parts to play during the service.

As the priest translated some of the words into heavily accented English, I was stuck by the promises being made by the bride and groom. Of commitment and trust.

The dinner was a vegetarian feast. The banquet table was laden with so many choices. Every bite had unexpected flavours. The building was built in the 1930's, tucked away inside a park, over looking trees, farm lands, and rivers.

We had so much fun dancing afterwards. Western and Eastern music filled the air. Smiles abounded.

There is so much I could describe. How beautiful my daughter looked in a Sari, her hands and feet laced with Henna. How handsome my new son looked in his suit. I could babble on and on.

I was also happy that I didn't have to make it about me. That I could just coast along this rich experience, without having to judge what was happening. That I could enjoy the rich company that was there to witness the event. That I could be one in many.

8 comments:

PRAYER GIRL said...

I kid you not, tears came to my eyes. Nothing compares in my mind to seeing our children truly happy. My wish for my children is that God sends them a "helpmate" to share this life with. I have learned what a total blessing it is when God provides someone that you love, is a friend, and who is there in good times and bad. Just like my God is there when I'm up and when I'm down.
Thanks for sharing this event with us. Fills me with happiness.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Sounds beautiful and beautiful that you were present in every way for it. Congratulations and best wishes to you daughter and new son-in-law!

Heather said...

It sounds absolutely lovely! Congratulations to your daughter and your new son!

AlkySeltzer said...

You wrote, "That I could enjoy the rich company that was there to witness the event."

As you know, Henk "We absolutely insist on enjoying life." BB Pg 132

And it seems you have caught on to that very important part of our program. Thanks for reminding me so distinctly about it (again!)

insist-a-roni

pat said...

So wonderful.

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

the wedding was described so succulently that I felt I was there and it wasn't until the end that I knew it was for your daughter and I teared up.

Happy Family, henk!!

Congratulations!!

Patty said...

Awesome!!!

Shadow said...

sounds absolutely perfect! congratulations!!