Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank you.


Before I stumbled into sobriety, I had always felt so alone. I felt unseeable. I was apart from man and woman kind. That people that did say they loved me, I would discount. People were objects. Only my pain was real. I deserved pleasure. If there was problems within my family, I took them as interuptions in my life, solve the problem quickly, and then lets get back to the stuff the feels good.

I rarely feel this way now. I have a place where I belong, where we understand each other. I feel like I've come home. I have a relationship with my higher power that is better than it's ever been in my whole life. While my life is far from comfortable, I have so much more acceptance than ever before. I am learning just to be with the discomfort. I am not alone.

I just want to express my gratitude to the blogging community. For your comments and for your blogs. It's like I get to start every morning with a meeting. Fresh impetus to stay sober, to help the still suffering alcoholic, to walk in the sunlight, to do this with all of you. I feel this connection in the real world, at AA meetings, comittee meetings, in my family, at work, in town. A sense of belonging.

Thank you.

Photo Credit: PrA SanGaM

9 comments:

Shadow said...

wow. your peace practically shines at me by your words. that's wonderful!

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

Isn't this world amazing? Are not the boundless opportunities to connect, to share, to resolve, to mend, to love, to laugh, to grow, to give praise, to accept unconditional love, and to open ourselves to grace utterly magnificent and splendid beyond imagining?

I'm grateful, also, for your wonderful little cottage on this street in the blogosphere. You add yourself to the neighborhood and the neighborhood is a better place for your sharing.

Thank you, Henk.

PRAYER GIRL said...

Often I can feel so much gratitude over our way of life based on what someone else shares. Guess it's called "identification". I can so identify with the difference from how you were to how you are and the gift given so freely to us by God.

Thanks for the post.

dAAve said...

At least we have a choice when we are in recovery.

AlkySeltzer said...

Hank, I see your comments all over the 'sphere. And I like them (as if that's a criteria? -grin-)
Thanks.

Mary LA said...

The recovery community on line is quite literally a lifesaver fo people like myself out in isolated places in the world without AA meetings on the doorstep.

One sober drunk talking to another, that's all it takes. Amazing.

Love to you and family

Mary

Patty said...

You have come such a long way, I am grateful to have you here as well.

Pam said...

I too, am so grateful for my daily dose of others like me.
I wish we could all pool our money and buy a neighborhood somewhere! Then we could be having coffee on each others back porches every morning. :-)

Heather said...

Thank YOU. Your posts always touch my heart. I can very strongly relate to what you are saying and all of the emotions that with your words. I am blessed beyond measure. Please keep sharing, Hank. You're a spark in the darkness.