Tuesday, November 25, 2008

it's a choice.

I was, once again, struck by todays reading in Courage to Change:

Sometimes the gretest growth comes through pain, but it's not the pain that helps me grow, it's my response to it. Will I suffer through the experience and contnue as before or let the pain inspire changes that help me grow? The choice is mine.

I see more clearly how it's not just having painful episodes in my life that bring me to change. I've had those my whole life and up to a few years ago chose to be the victim of circumstances. Poor me. It wasn't until I decided to take responsibility for my life, to become a real life human being instead of wearing a mask, that life started to get better.

All of your responses to my fearful post yesterday taught me the same. It is about personal responsibilty. Not running away and hiding. It's keeping myself exposed to whatever comes my way. Thank you for sharing your experience with me yesterday. I was reminded of something my councillor told me while I was in treatement.  My words or actions can't make a person drink nor can they stop a person from drinking.  I sobered up when I did the first three steps. Found the courage to turn my will and life over to my Higher Power's care. Took the responsibility to work the remaining nine, all the while staying connected with my Higher Power. 

We do this together but only I am responsible for me. 


9 comments:

Patty said...

I have really enjoyed catching up with you this morning. Your friend brings to mind the line in the AA preamble: "The ONLY REQUIREMENT for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking" I have a certain criteria I use for giving money to people in AA now:
They have to be working a program.
I never give it if they ask for it.
I always give it anonymously
That's just me! Your grandson is beautiful!

Indigo said...

I love that quote. It's a sense of learning from the experience, otherwise you just repeat the same mistakes without the value of the lesson. (Hugs)Indigo

Cat said...

Choices. We talked about choices in my meeting this afternoon. We all have choices to make. And I think eventually we all make choices in our own time.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

PRAYER GIRL said...

I sobered up for good when I took the first three steps. For me, I couldn't take the first step until I took the second and third. Worked for me.

Have a great day!

big Jenn said...

The only person we can change is ourselves. jeNN

Shadow said...

i find it's at times that the child in me rebels, that responsibility and choices become so hard. deep breath. time. re-think. because it IS all about choices.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I think that I read it yesterday but did not understand or absorb it until you included it in your post:

"Sometimes the greatest growth comes through pain, but it's not the pain that helps me grow, it's my response to it. Will I suffer through the experience and continue as before or let the pain inspire changes that help me grow? The choice is mine."

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing your last two posts. It's hard sometimes, to live in this world as it is, and choosing our part in someone else's life.

Constant contact with God is all we can count on to guide us, and if we choose incorrectly, we know there is grace in the mix too.

Thanks for your honesty in your writing.

Findon said...

Glad things are resolving in your mind. I must always remember to take care of my self first. If I don't do that, the only way I'm going to help some one else is by them NOT practising my bad example.
Go easy. Take care of your self.