Saturday, January 16, 2010

Not alone is the safe way


Bill W, in the August, 1961 edition of the Grapevine wrote:

If we are fooling ourselves, a competent adviser can see this quickly. And, as he skillfully guides us away from our fantasies, we are surprised to find that we have few of the usual urges to defend ourselves against unpleasant truths. In no other way can fear, pride, and ignorance be so readily melted. After a time, we realize that we are standing firm on a brand-new foundation for integrity and we gratefully credit our sponsors.


As I read this, I was reminded that I am only as sick as my secrets. That the only way to test my thinking is by sharing whats going on in my head with someone else. I am grateful that for this blog, for it gives me the space I need to explore, to write, and to listen to your experience. I also find it easier to talk with my sponsor after writing here.

It reinforces, for me, the idea that I do not walk in recovery alone. That we do recovery together.

I also like the idea on how integrity is tied in with gratitude and humility.

Thanks for letting me share.

Photo Credit: Starbuckguy

2 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

May Providence grant you the strength that is required to run the course of each day.

Joy and courage,
Susan

Syd said...

I like that we are all working on knowing ourselves better and recovering from whatever has waylaid us in life.