Saturday, January 9, 2010


A cold mist, in a cloud enshrouded world, upon my face as I walked to work. An unexpected phone call from a friend I had not heard from for a couple of years. Watching my grandson just stand himself up and walk around his home with never ending energy. Relishing and sharing a meal that my daughter had prepared. Being aware of the day as it passed. Living that day sober and clean. Those are some of the things that brought me peacefulness and joy.

This morning, the cloudscape is dramatic, God has draped them so only one mountain is silhouetted by a narrow band of light, the light that graces us before the rising of the sun. This moment, sitting at the kitchen table, reading recovery literature, taking time to write, is often my favourite part of the day.

In looking for a gratitude quote, I came across this one attributed to Albert Schweitzer:

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.

It is so true. My recovery comes from those that have gone before me. Who have lit up the path for me to see. Starting with the rooms of Alanon, moving on to AA, the support of members in those rooms, the support of fellow bloggers. All the collective experience and hope. You have shown me how to live. How to keep on keeping on. Specially when the road gets rough.

Thank you for showing me of gratitude. How gratitude begets more gratitude.

My mood is still dark but the hopelessness has been tempered. It seems a little brighter. Irish is right, it's not about the feelings and the emotions, it's about doing the right things with our lives, in spite of those feelings.

It would be nice to give off the occasional spark. Thank you for sharing your light with us.

Photo Credit: M Sobota

1 comment:

Syd said...

We all need this reminder to keep going and in doing so I think that we make immeasurable differences in our lives and in others as well.