Thursday, January 21, 2010

a hand to hold


There is a part of my day that has become habit. A part that I have gratitude for. Each morning, I couple hands with my partner and we take turns praying. She prays for those close to her, she wants God's best for them, that they would learn to deeply trust God. I feel God's grace when she prays for me, knowing that I am loved by her as she prays, knowing of many who have no one to pray for them. I feel grace because she is entrusting me to the God of her understanding.

When I pray, I like to use the symbolism that heads this blog. I place those I love in God's hands and pray that the circumstances those loved ones find themselves in will draw them closer to God. Children, sponsee's, sponsors, people who are in pain, all end up in that special basket. I pray that as they struggle with life, I'll stay out of the way, that I'll try not to smooth things over. (As my children grew up, I felt like God had failed them if they had to suffer any hardship and I needed to make that up to them.) I pray that I can walk in God's will, that self-pity, anger, or just plain self won't take me out of the game. I pray that I can walk with God, to remain sober one more day.

When done, we hug and then carry on with the day. At the end of the day, we pray together, usually sharing gratitude for what the day has brought.

I often forget just how much I already have, how much has been restored in my life when I fell into recovery. I'm grateful that I am where I am, for I have so much.

Photo Credit: batega

3 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

Dear Distinct:

This practice is very nice. The way you have described it shows how tender you feel about it. This reminds of Mathew 18: 19 - "I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you."

God bless you and your family.

Joy always,
Susan

Syd said...

What a great way to start and end the day. It brings not only spiritual closeness but a lot of emotional intimacy as well.

amy said...

Beautiful, what an awesome, awesome habit. Thanks for sharing