Friday, January 15, 2010

a list


I am grateful for breath, for my time upon this planet with you.

Grateful for a connection with something much Greater than myself.

Grateful for my partner, for our children and grandchildren.

Grateful that my addicted child has been at a recovery centre these past weeks.

Grateful for my home group, for their patience.

Grateful that people are able to trust me.

Grateful for my connection with you.

Grateful that somehow the courage comes up so I can do the right things while being fearful.

Grateful that I looked up the pronunciations for breath and breathe and discovered I had them backwards! :)

You are going to meet these new friends in your own community. Near you, alcoholics are dying helplessly like people in a sinking ship. If you live in a large place, there are hundreds. High and low, rich and poor, these are future fellows of Alcoholics Anonymous. Among them you will make lifelong friends. You will be bound to them with new and wonderful ties, for you will escape disaster together and you will commence shoulder to shoulder your common journey. Then you will know what it means to give of yourself that others may survive and rediscover life. You will learn the full meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thyself." (Page 152 of the Big Book)


Photo Credit: aussiegall

6 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

Another lovely post to be grateful for. I am grateful for stumbling on your blog. It gives me many reasons to thank the providence for this existence of mine.

Joy always. Have a lovely weekend.

Susan

Lou said...

A wonderful list. I always forget to be thankful for "breath"!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

i love that quote :)
'the fellowship of the spirit'. Its ! real isnt it? :)
youre right. we are very lucky. full of flaws and habits we would all love to be rid of, but yes, at the same time very lucky :)

when I see a tragic case of alcoholism out in the street, I involuntarily register the thought 'future fellows of Alcoholics Anonymous.' like an echo in my head. poor things.

I love the way the big book appears in my head when i least expect it during the day..

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

btw you sound like you are in a nice space :)

I think you are getting the benefit of the 'newcomer effect' :) cool isnt it?

The Turning Point said...

Love your sharing.
Two items on the gratitude list hit me.
First. I had three children go to treatment. I was happy for them but I must confess I was happier for myself. What a relief this letting go.
Second. After retiring from industry I ran a large inner-city publicly funded treatment center. Most residents and out-patient folks were homeless,prostitutes,poverty moms with children and adolescents.The Big Book is right,"they make "lifelong friends".

JF

Syd said...

What a great list. Thanks for sharing this. I am grateful for a connection with you and many others out there who write about what they feel and think. It helps.