Sunday, January 10, 2010

Looking past the stern.


We were driving towards a bigger city and it was raining hard. Sitting in that little cocoon of warm and dry as we travel though the wetness is something I am grateful for. Having lunch with my parents, going out for supper with my partner, catching a movie, having a day just for us, talking about the past year and our hopes for the next, celebrating my belly button birthday (55).

In a sense, it was a day of healing for our relationship. I can do a lot of damage in my restlessness and irritability. Me stuck in self-pity, no fun for anyone. But when I stop fighting everyone and everything, learning to accept life as it is, the relationship thing becomes easier. After all, nobody wants to hug a porcupine (or a skunk.)

The happiness of the day wasn't based on my mood for it's still dark and unsettled. It's based on just taking in what rolls along, looking with purpose at what's going on. Good things are happening, all is not dark.

Melodie Beattie is quoted as saying:

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.

Learning to let go, to trust that those I deeply care for are resting in the same hands of God that I rest in, also gives me pause for saying thank you. I would like to develop that into something deeper.

Thanks for taking the time to visit.

Photo Credit: ecreyes

4 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

sounds like things are progressing nicely :)
i keep forgetting to say that exercise helps me to stay in a can-do, and relatively upbeat mindset instead of being overwhelmed by too much 'stuff'. sometimes i cut back on daily exercise due to being busy and it always makes life much more tough going eventually. I have learned my lesson :) i have to go regularly to the gym or do exercise pretty much every day to make things manageable and keep stress levels down. but I have put myself under pressure with study, so perhaps it is different when not much is happening? I don't know. All i know is my moods are better when I am exercising regularly.

Garnet said...

I like that idea you can have a good day even when you're feeling blue. That's gratitude!

Lou said...

I remember the first time someone told me my addict had his own higher power and his higher power was watching over him. It had never occurred to me! I thought being his higher power was my job.

Syd said...

Happy Birthday Hank. I like your philosophy about living.