Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why pray?


Someone told me that I should always have a spiritual book of some sort open during my morning devotions. Most mornings since I have sobered up I have done so but the last few weeks and months have been lost in the busy-ness of renovations and moving and my morning meditations have turned into a quick read of "Daily Reflections" and a prayer with my partner. I've missed the snippets of deeper reflection and sought to remedy that.

Then this morning I was reading a book of meditations written by Thomas Moore and read this bit about the purpose of prayer:

Pray -- Period! Don't expect anything, or better, expect nothing. Prayer cleanses us of expectations and allows Holy will, providence, and life itself an entry. What could be more worth the effort -- or the non-effort. Meditations: On the Monk who Dwells in Daily Life. p 19

I was reminded of the advice I was given while I was in treatment, to start praying but not to ask for anything. To stop wishing for life to be better, but to get on living life the way it was presented. Life's not fair, never will be, so get on with it. And my life changed that day. I stopped rebelling, started listening to others and began trying to figure out step 3.

Makes sense. Loose the expectations, practice acceptance, turn my will over to God's care, and I'll have little reason to feel sorry for myself. Easy when I see the words in print, harder to practice when my mind wants to drag me into depression and/or self pity.

The third step prayer is at the top of the left column on this blog. All about lining up my will with Gods. How I see this alignment is in service to others. And that's the best cure for self pity and the best reason to prayer.

All from a book found in the public library.

Photo Credit: έŁέ¢τяøиί¢ έγέ's

5 comments:

Patty said...

Great post and you have been missed!

The Turning Point said...

Good Orderly Direction-my sponsor's words from day one of my sobriety. G-O-D and the meaning thereof--just pray for the direction not the destination. And like you said, share with others.

My failure to do under the influence of my ego and the trouble I get into keeps me "practicing".

Thanks for the reminder.

indistinct said...

Thanks, Patty, I've been lurking in the back ground, hiding in the shadows. It felt good to write again.

I did a double take, reading your comment, Mr. Turning Point. I loved the line "under the influence of my ego" It's not much different than be under the influence of alcohol. They both get me into difficult places. Thanks.

Syd said...

I've missed your posts. Thomas Moore was a great thinker and a good man. I ask to do God's will each day. Some days I fail miserably but I am willing and that's really important.

indistinct said...

Thanks, Syd. That's one of the gifts in my life when I started to recover. That I became willing. Willing to admit I had failed miserably and willing to start over. More than ever "misery is optional" resonates within me.