Friday, November 12, 2010

The erring member

About Akron A.A.'s break with the Oxford Group, very little was set down in writing. Nor did Dr. Bob ever say much about the matter -- remembering to "guard that erring member, the tongue." (Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers, P212)

Not everything that rolls around in my head needs to continue out of my mouth. There is a valve that controls the flow of words. For me, the greatest challenge is "justified resentments." Keeping my thoughts to myself, preventing my words from portraying myself as a saint and another as downfallen, is an important part of humility. The break with the Oxford Group must have been a painful episode in the history of AA, yet there is very little recorded about the event. There must have been wheel barrows full of resentment at that occasion. A.A. survived and my respect for Dr. Bob continues to increase as read of him and see his humility in action.

There is another part and that is when I need to give my opinion, even when it is contrary to those around me. Especially during the business of A.A.. Concept V:

Throughout our world service structure, a traditional "Right to Appeal" ought to prevail, thus assuring us that minority opinion will be heard and that petitions for the redress of personal grievances will be carefully considered. (Twelve Concepts for World Service, P22)

There are times, that no matter how uncomfortable I feel, I need to speak my opinion when the minority voice is asked for. I've witnessed votes swing in the opposite direction after people have shared from their hearts.

So, there is a time to talk and a time for silence and wisdom from a Power greater than myself to help me understand and decide what to do.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Very timely perfect post for me to read this morning. Thank you.

Syd said...

I have never been one to shy away from speaking my opinion. But I realize now that I can leave my ego out of it. I can speak my truth and accept the outcome.