Sunday, November 14, 2010

Influence

The passage from this mornings Daily Reflections:

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. (Alcoholics Anonymous, P86)


Funny, how in the past, when confronted with a decision I didn't want to make (any choice regarding life), I would find relaxation in a bottle. Procrastination, avoidance, drunkenness, self-pity, guilt and shame all rolled into one. How I would lock horns with my spouse, she wanting to move on, me full of fear. All I wanted was the darkness that came with passing out. This scene occurred many times in my life.

No longer do I hide in the bottle but I still don't relax and take it easy when it comes to decision time, but it's getting less fearful than it used to be. I can allow myself to make mistakes while unsure of the outcome. Sometimes, I can let go of the reigns and let someone else make the decision and be comfortable with that. Sometimes, I can pray and ask for help. My journey of life has no ending, I do not arrive anywhere. But I grow, being nurtured in the Hands of God, through the wisdom of people all around me. Slowly, simply, subtly, we change.

Take it easy.

2 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

:)

Nice post, and yes I will take it easy :)

Syd said...

Thank God for those show, subtle and simple changes.