Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Inklings

But the program of action, though entirely sensible, was pretty drastic. It meant I would have throw several lifelong conceptions out of the window. That was not easy. But the moment I made up my mind to go through with the process, I had the curious feeling that my alcoholic condition was relieved, as in fact it proved to be (Alcoholics Anonymous, P42).

I was reminded of how I felt when I was in very early recovery. How I had to rebuild my "life truths", getting rid of those that harmed me, replacing those with others that gave me a reason and a way to live alcohol free. To find a way to live courageously, in spite of the lingering fears that fill my life. I agree with the writer that I found relief when I made the decision to give up and try something new. A belief in a Power greater than myself and a focus on others instead of myself are key to my recovery.

I still have to be aware of what my conceptions are. Just because I think it doesn't make it an essential truth. I can still fall into old thinking patterns or new self-destructive ones. There is a need to constantly challenge my thoughts and there is an added benefit of continued growth and nurturing. Just part of the journey in which openness, honesty, and willingness are key. Walking that journey with others is also important.

Think, think, think.

2 comments:

Annette said...

I love that...."rebuild my life's truths." What a great term for what we all go through in our recovery journey. I am so grateful for those new truth's that we learn.

Syd said...

I like the THINK part. I am reminded when I talk with others is what I am saying thoughtful,honest, intelligent, necessary and kind.