Saturday, November 20, 2010

mindfulness

These feelings [fear, anger, fatigue, emotional stress, and tension] were once relieved by drinking. We cannot ignore them now and expect to function normally or attain that degree of spiritual or mental efficiency which composure would bring us. (The Little Red Book, p108)

The Little Red Book suggests taking a break, a quiet time, whenever we start to get out of kilter. This is something I don't do often. The usual state is to keep stuffing the feelings, ignoring whats going on in my brain, heart and spirit and just plough through the day on self-will. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I come apart, the proverbial bull in a china shop. Happy I got through the day without drinking but wondering why my partner is in the other room crying. I am grateful that the 12 steps afford me the room for self-discovery, for finding out what makes me tick, and, for what seems the first time in my life, to grow, and change.

Dr. Gabor Maté, in his book, "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts," states:

Once more, the release of addiction's hold requires awareness: awareness of where we keep ourselves hobbled and stressed, where we ignore our emotions, restrict our expression of who we are, frustrate our innate human drive for creative and meaningful activity and deny our needs for connection and intimacy. In the ecology of gardening it is not enough to pull up the weeds. If we want something beautiful to grow, we have to create the conditions that will allow it to develop. The same is true in the ecology of the mind. (p379)



From adversity comes strength.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Step back, take a break....such foreign ideas huh. I am one who just keeps plowing on ahead trying to figure out how to fix whatever is wrong. I wear myself out and everyone around me with my demands. I love the reminders within your post. Tomorrow is supposed to be snowy and cold in my neighborhood....maybe I will take a break and drink tea and read a book and renew my spirit. Thank you!

indistinct said...

We had snow last night and today. It's been fun! The snow is a nice break from the routine.

Syd said...

I used to feel guilty about taking a break. Now I revel in not having a schedule and simply doing what I feel like at the moment. If I don't feel like doing something, I give myself a break. I don't drive myself like I once did.