Friday, November 19, 2010

vicissitude

Let us never fear needed change, Certainly we have to discriminate between changes for worse and changes for better. But once a need becomes clearly apparent in an individual, in a group or in A.A. as a whole, it has long since been found out that we cannot stand still and look the other way.

The essence of all growth is a willingness to change for the better and then an unremitting willingness to shoulder whatever responsibility this entails. (The A.A. Way of Life, p115)


When I think of change, I think of reluctance, driven by fear. Been that way most of my life. Just stick with what I know. I admit that I would hope that change for me would be initiated by someone else, anybody else, everyone else, I had this mistaken core truth that I couldn't change myself, someone else would have to at least start the process. A parent, a partner, a boss. I seemed to have emotional dependencies upon others, dependencies that would eventually bring me more pain.

If I would like to change (for the better) then I get to do the work. Others can and have shown me what the work is, but I get to do it. Others will always fail me. Change comes when I put the effort it, put my trust is Something greater than myself, and don't give up when the going gets tuff.


"I need all the help I can give."

2 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

"I need all the help I can give."
cool. haven't heard that one..
yes as for the responsibility to change myself. yes. ouch. thats an unflattering point of departure. to stop relying on others to 'save' me.. :)

http://yowindow.com/

I found this free weather widget which i think is pretty cool so stuck it on my sidebar :)

Syd said...

I know that feeling of emotional dependency. I still feel it but at a much reduced level. I realize that expectations of others set me up to feel a lot of pain. I have lowered those expectations today. God never fails me.