Saturday, November 13, 2010

without presumption

As he [Dr. Bob] said, this was not "the fake humility of Dickens's Uriah Heep." Nor was it "the doormat variety . . . I'm talking about the attitude of each and every one of us toward our Heavenly Father." said Dr. Bob

"Christ said, 'Of Myself, I am nothing -- My strength cometh from My Father in heaven.' If He had to say that," Dr. Bob asked, "how about you and me? Did you say it? Did I say it? No. That's exactly what we didn't say. We were inclined to say instead, 'Look me over, boys. Pretty good, huh?' We had no humility, no sense of having received anything through the grace of our Heavenly Father.

"I don't believe I have any right to get cocky about getting sober," he said. "It's only through God's grace that I did it. I can feel very thankful that I was privileged to do it . . . If my strength does come from Him, who am I to get cocky about it?" (Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers, p222)

When I first read this, I bristled over the religious language and example used by Dr. Bob. (Contempt prior to investigation?) I reread it, and could see all the truth in what Dr. Bob was say. I don't know how I got sober. I could not have gotten sober on my own. How did I get sobriety when people around me are dying in their addictions?

Regardless of what my concept is of a higher power, humility (on my part) is an important part of that relationship. I am deeply grateful for the changes in my life. I am grateful that somehow I was given the courage to face my fears. I like how Dr. Bob noted it was a privilege. When I turned my life and will over to a Power greater than myself, the world (as I knew it) shifted.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Love love love this!! Thank you also for your comment on my blog. SO good to see you back around! :o)

Syd said...

It is a privilege to be in recovery and to finally face my fears and get to know who I really am. I tried many things but Al-Anon works for me.