Sunday, November 21, 2010

yield

Our very first problem is to accept our present circumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people about us as they are. This is to adopt a realistic humility without which no genuine advance can even begin. Again and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point of departure. This is an exercise in acceptance that we can profitably practice every day of our lives.

Provided we strenuously avoid turning these realistic surveys of the facts of life into unrealistic alibis for apathy or defeatism, they can be the sure foundation upon which increased emotional health and therefore spiritual progress can be built. (The A.A. Way of Life, p44)


I really like what the passage states but find it difficult to practice. To return to that place of acceptance of circumstances, people, and myself requires real effort. And it's just like the writer had a view of my mind because there are times when I want to give up and do nothing, for what is the use of it all. Thankfully, after sitting in my own poo for a while, I want to clean up and get going, starting fresh. I have experienced the joy, peace and serenity that sobriety offers and have been given the tools to keep growing and changing. Increased emotional health is a wonderful promise that encourages me to keep going. Spiritual progress is a bonus!


When you accept others, you accept yourself.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Acceptance is one of the greatest gifts of my program. I had no concept of acceptance before Alanon. It has changed my life. But you are right, it takes real work to choose to accept and not meddle and control. At least for me.....

Grace-WorkinProgress said...

I had a great inspired day yesterday but this morning woke up with a little fear and anxiety about the future. I use to think that I would find safety and security somewhere but life isn't like that, embrace uncertainty is my mantra these days. Enjoyed the post.

Syd said...

How true that is about accepting others and then accepting myself. I find that recovery has brought such a great deal of acceptance of others and of myself and my foibles. I can truly feel that I am okay as well.