Sunday, December 5, 2010

Coexist

We found that the principles of tolerance and love had to be emphasized in actual practice. we can never say (or insinuate) to anyone that he must agree to our formula or be excommunicated. The atheist may stand up in an A.A. meeting still denying the Deity, yet reporting how vastly he has been changed in attitude and outlook. Much experiences tells us he will presently change his mind about God, but nobody tells him he must do so.

. . . we make no religious requirement . . . all people having an alcoholic problem who wish to get rid of it . . . become A.A. members by simple associating with us. Nothing but sincerity is needed.

In such an atmosphere the orthodox, the unorthodox, and the unbeliever mix happily and usefully together. An opportunity for spiritual growth is open to all. (The A.A. Way of Live: a Reader by Bill, p158)


I am grateful for the changes in my life since I started "associating" with A.A. Even though I could not describe my Higher Power, when I turned my will and life over to God's care, when I started to take direction from Something other than myself, it started to get better. Not quickly, not how I imagined it or expected the "better" to look like, but serenity started sifting in.

I am grateful that I don't have to believe in a specific way. Grateful that the founders of A.A. had the foresight to help us all.


But for the grace of God.

1 comment:

Syd said...

So true for me as well. My sponsor told me to write about my concept of a Higher Power in Step Two. I did that and my Higher Power has evolved since then.