Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lighthouse

In Rumi's poem "The Ruby" he advises:

Work on your stony qualities
and become resplendent like the ruby.
Practice self-denial and accept difficulty.
Always see infinite life in letting the self die.

..............

The light which shines in the eye
is really the light of the heart.
The light which fills the heart
is the light of God, which is pure
and separate from the light of intellect and sense.



It was a thought that I could once again walk in the sunshine that drew me to the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. The darkness of alcoholism and depression could not resist this spark of hope from my Higher Power. Following that light brought me to 12 suggestions that would remake the foundations of my life, allowing me to see myself in a new light. Fellow members of A.A. taught me a new language, a language of the heart, powerful and simple.

Recovery is about an alcoholic talking with another alcoholic. We share our experience, strength, and hope. We share our darkness and our fears. We share our light. Even as I enter in a period of heavy swells, I have to remind myself to stay open, honest, and willing. Not to keep any secrets. Not to let fear of others hold me captive.

Light comes from working with others.

Light in my heart
Light of my heart
Lightness of heart

2 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

theres no substitute for that connection from taking a risk and being honest with another alcoholic. so healing.. what a relief to be unburdened and feel lighter like you say here.. :)

Syd said...

Staying open, honest and willing are those things which help me daily. I sometimes get covered by the swells but fight my way back to the surface and swim for dear life.